Friday, September 7, 2007

intel-ligent responses? pretty much, kind of.

So okay, I know I just posted something .3102 seconds ago, but I was looking through stuff and saw that I got 2 interesting responses to my post on the racially awkward Intel ad and I definitely wanted to respond to them, like a responsible blogging responding internet person. First off was this comment from underwayent:
"Hey Brittany, Black people do work at Intel and some of us are proud of it. Although the ad does prove to be insensitive, It was not Intel's intent. Intel is a very diverse company and African Americans play a very important role within the company. It seems that most people are always looking to play the race card at the drop of a dime. We need to start throwing the races cards at each other."
So in response I'd like to say that you know what? I'm glad that you responded defending your company, I totally respect you and would probably do the same if I were in your shoes. That being said, my question of whether or not Black people work at Intel was purely smart-ass-ness, and not really serious. If Intel employed zero Black people that would be fodder for an entirely different kind of post. Anyway, I don't doubt that Intel (as a major technological company who definitely provided the processor on which my little HP pavilion is buzzin' right now) makes strides at effective diversity and inclusion within their company, in addition to dedicating its resources (people, technology and money alike) to socially-aware initiative. However, clearly that doesn't mean that they can't make (and didn't make) mistakes, or that people high-up/in creative roles (or the ones coordinating with any ad agencies, whose mistake this probably was more than Intel's) weren't racially insensitive when creating, approving and rolling out this ad. If anything this goes to show that companies need to put more energy into educating associates of all races, backgrounds and on all levels, about these sorts of issues (i.e. what is taboo, what is racist, and what's just plain awkward).
Here's the other little gem from a Richard that I'd like to respond to as well:
"And, what if the colors were revered? Is that not also racism in your eyes? There have been several ads of late showing a cool black dude letting us know how dorkey, lame, or dumb the white guy was. This is racism. "White Men Can't Jump" is also racist. If you can't see it, I'd suggest you open your eyes and think about it."
Um.. okay, so why are you telling me to open my eyes? Does the fact that you'd find this ad offensive if the races were flipped make it any less offensive? I absolutely cannot stand when I air some grievance I have with a racially charged issue, somebody comes at me with some stuff like this, basically saying "well Black people can be racist too."
..So? So what?
Does that mean that it's not worth me being upset about? I'd have to say... No, it doesn't. Yes, you are right, white people can be the ones on the bad side of a racially offensive ad/situation, but that doesn't mean that when Black people are (as we so luckily get to be so often, huzzah!) that we should not complain about it or not be upset. And no, I don't know whether or not you (or anyone agreeing with you) is white, or male, or shizz, if you're even named Richard, but your post lead me to believe that. Anyway, the fact that you got upset about my pointing out that this was a race issue instead of being annoyed that this is happening to any race (if it had been a bunch of Latinos I'd be annoyed, too) just points to white privilege in the matter of not having to think about race until it is presented to you. Open your eyes and think about it!
Okay, smart ass again, sorry.
Or am I?
Maybe 35%

Oh the anonymity of the net- I just noticed that many posts like that are linked to (surprise!) unviewable profiles. Most interesting. Well not really, but still.

1 comment:

Bernadette Merikle said...

lol love. it. Even in blog land if you come with a weak argument you best be ready to be countered. Too bad most of those folks are lost in cyberland never to read your rebuttals. I enjoyed them though!